Franconian Wine from Sommerach – For More Than Four Decades
The Story of the Winery Galena in Franconia
For more than four decades everything has been revolving around Franconian quality wine for the Galena family. Father Michael Galena has been a winemaker since 1980 and a master winemaker since 1985. In 1993 he and his wife Christine took over the winery, and in 2010 their daughter Franziska followed in her parents´ footsteps and became a winemaker as well.
Today our winery is run by our family with full dedication and passion and has constantly developed over the years.
In spring and fall we spoil you in our own wine tavern, a so-called “Heckenwirtschaft” , with splendid wine, Franconian specialities, and seasonal delicacies. If you would like to stay for a couple of days – our comfortable holiday apartment invites you, and on tours of the winery and the vineyards you will receive fascinating background information on our Franconian wine.
It´s not for nothing that Franziska Galena has been a “Wine Experience Franconia” tourist guide since 2016.
Enjoy Delicious Wines and Franconian Hospitality
Get to know us, our delicious wines, and beautiful Sommerach near Volkach, and visit our winery. We are looking forward to meeting you!
Our Winery in Dates:
- 2022 launch of our new wine vending machine
- 2021 Franziska graduates as Master Winemake with award
- 2020 Franziska finishes her education as a stete certified economist for viticulture and oenology as best in class
- 2019 Welcome to our 'Landvergnügen' campsite
- 2018 Franziska is awarded “Winemaker of the Year” by the Metropol News Magazine
- 2018 Our new homepage is online
- 2017 Redesign of our logo
- 2016 Our white “Glühwein” (mulled wine) joins the wine family
- 2016 Franziska becomes a “Wine Experience Franconia” tourist guide
- 2014 The first verjuice is botteled
- 2011 Our first Orange Wine: 180° About-turn/U-turn Silvaner
- 2010 From now on Franziska is part of the winery team
- 2010 Franziska finishes her winemaker education
- 2008 Christine becomes a sommeliere
- 2007 We open our “Heckenwirtschaft”
- since 2007 Steady participation at the Sommerach Wine Festival
- 2003 The first Sommerach Erleben und Genießen (Experience and Enjoy Sommerach)
- 2003 First botteling of Sophia Rosé and Franzi Secco, named after our daughters
- 2003 Opening of the new wine shop/tasting room
- 2002 Founding member of InselWeinMacher (IslandWineMakers)
- 1999 – 2003 Partial teardown and reconstruction of the winery
- 1999 First harvest of ice wine (Silvaner grapes from Escherndorfer Lump)
- 1996 Expansion by building a machine hall
- 1993 Michael and Christine Galena take over the winery
- 1985 Michael graduates as Master Winemaker
- 1980 Michael finishes his education as winemaker